Working remotely has increased a lot in recent times and has become a more acceptable work mode. This sudden change in frequency and scale of remote work has opened new challenges in this hitherto unknown territory.
Due to such issues showing up the first time, there isn’t any well-known template to follow, so the solution needs to evolve gradually based on real experience. This is an attempt to share the observation based on the trend that it’s helpful to overcome some of the challenges.
Remote management presents many challenges, such as communication and collaboration issues and managing different workflows. However, don’t let these challenges discourage you! You can overcome any challenges with the right strategies and make sure your team is productive, cohesive, and happy.
Biggest Challenges in Managing Remote Teams
Following are some of the biggest challenges in managing remote teams and how to overcome them.
1. Communication challenges :
Communication is one of the biggest challenges for managers of remote teams. It cannot be easy to keep everyone on the right page when you aren’t all present in the same place. Important information can also get lost or misinterpreted.
- To ensure everyone is on the right page, set up regular check-ins like daily stand-ups and weekly team meetings.
- Trello and Asana are two examples of project management tools that can be used to organize all your communication and projects, so everyone is on the same page.
- Encourage open communication. Create an environment that encourages everyone to ask questions and feel comfortable asking them.
2. How to handle Time Zone Differences
You might find yourself working irregular hours to accommodate your team members if spread across different time zones. How can this be avoided?
To track how long everyone spends on each task, use a time-tracking tool like Rescue Time or Toggl. These tools can help you set deadlines and keep everyone on track.
- Flexible meetings can be set up at a time that suits everyone.
- PREMIUM CONTENT – Staffing and Workforce Solutions Mergers and Acquisitions Database
3. Management of Different Workflows
Remote workers are likely to have their unique ways of working. One person might prefer to work in the mornings, while another might work at night. It cannot be easy to manage all the work.
- Identify the workflows of your team and determine how they like to work.
- To keep track of the progress and work of all your team members, use a project management tool.
- To ensure that work is completed on time, set deadlines for each task.
4. How to compensate for lesser face-to-face interaction
It may be difficult to get to know your team members face-to-face, making it more difficult to build trust and relationships.
- Set up regular video/conference calls for your team to build strong relationships.
- Chat tools such as Slack and Microsoft Team can help you keep in touch with your team during the day and build relationships.
- To strengthen friendships and teamwork, schedule social time. You can do anything, from playing online games to a virtual happy hour.
5. Challenge to maintain technical parity
If some team members don’t have the same technology or resources, it can be easy to feel excluded. This can lead to frustration or resentment.
- Your remote team should have the software and equipment they need.
- Offer training and support. Training and support are necessary if you have a new tool or software that you would like everyone to use.
6. Challenge to maintain Company Culture
It cannot be easy to maintain a company culture when you work remotely. Remote workers can make it difficult to maintain company culture. This is because many things that build and strengthen company cultures, such as office parties and team-building exercises, and casual conversations around a water cooler, don’t happen.
- Describe and communicate your culture. What are your company’s values and beliefs? Make sure everyone understands your company culture.
- Encourage social interaction. Encourage social interaction.
- Recognize your successes. This gesture can make everyone feel valued and motivated, even if it is just a virtual high-five within a chatroom.
These suggestions will help you overcome the difficulties of managing remote teams and create a cohesive, successful team capable of achieving anything.
We help Businesses to Grow more, Grow faster, Grow Bigger using Power of Digital Transformation , use of latest IT technologies, Business Analytics, AI & ML etc.
We provide consultancy, technology and outsourcing solution to enable organizations to achieve their business objectives and long-term vision through increased IT efficiency and innovative solutions.