What happens to this delicate balance when you add someone else?
It all depends on how good you are at hiring for culture.
You won’t be able to make your new hires excel in your workplace, no matter how skilled or experienced they are. Do you have to hire duplicates of your existing employees? No. It doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be careful when hiring. You need to make sure they mesh well with their coworkers, higher-ups, and direct reports.
Following are some of the ways to hire someone who matches your team dynamics.
Determine the work environment type that the candidate prefers.
To understand their strengths, ask a few open-ended questions such as
- What would you say about the culture where you are most happy and productive?
- What are the qualities and characteristics of your ideal boss?
- (For managers candidates) How can you inspire and build trust among your team members?
Validate that resources share your core values.
Review your company’s values during the interview. Ask the candidate to give you an example of how they have demonstrated each value on the job. If your core values are not clear, ask the candidate for examples.
- Shared purpose
Closely observe the way the candidate interacts and communicates with others.
You may not get along with potential employees, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will complement your existing team dynamics. If you are successful in your interview, set aside time to meet with other candidates, including subordinates, supervisors, and peers.
To get a better understanding of the potential culture fit, pay attention to their interactions with other people and gather feedback as a group.
Looking for candidates that are a great fit for your company culture?
We would love to share our knowledge with you.
- To hire qualified candidates for your team, contact your local Akscellence office.
- Akscellence professional recruiters will help you to hire top performers that will thrive within your company by leveraging Akscellence’s proven processes and nationwide resources.